Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Borko is Celebrating Life


Borko is a band from Iceland fronted with Björn Kristiansson. The interview with the musician takes place at Flow festival in Helsinki, Finland in August, 2008. This is the time when Borko has a reason to celebrate – his long awaited debut album “Celebrating Life” has finally been released in March of that year. Apart from the album, Mr.Kristiansson seems to be a busy and interesting personality: he has studied Finnish, written music for theatre, teaches music and plays football. 

How did you get the idea to release an album? Because so far you were writing songs for theatre and dance, right?
Of course, it was a plan for many years to do this album. And that’s why some of the songs are very old.

How was the song writing process? How long did it take?
It took very long. The oldest songs are 6 years old. First, I was writing alone and it was electronic equipment, then more people got involved in the project and then I kind of started recording all the songs again last summer. And then the recording process took time.

How many people are involved in the project?
Today we will perform six on a stage. We are usually six when we play live. 

Do you have certain plans with your new album?
We are having a tour around Europe. In the middle of September we will go around all Europe with another band called Seabear. It is 25 gigs in 26 days.

You have also collaborated with Mum. Will you continue this collaboration?
Yeah, there are 3 guys from Mum who play in Borko band. So that collaboration will probably go on. We also went to tour with Mum earlier this year. I don’t know if we are going to do that again, but we are good friends, so we kind of get involved in each other’s projects.

Have you thought about coming to Baltic Sates?
I would love to come, but we haven’t had the opportunity yet. But when the opportunity comes, I would like to go. I haven’t been there.

Why is the album called “Celebrating Life”?
You just write something to celebrate. It’s a good thing. And then the album was finally finished it was even bigger reason to celebrate.

Does it require a different approach when you write music for dance and theatre and your album?
Yeah, it requires quite different approach because when you are writing for theatre and dance in certain context you have to work with it. The focus is not supposed to be on the music, but music is supposed to support the other things going on and interact with it. So, it has a different approach in that manner. 



Do you like to go to theatres and movies?
I don’t go so much to theatres as I would like to, because it’s so expensive, but I used to go to theatre a lot.

Are you still writing songs for the theatre?
It’s nothing that I have done lately, but I enjoy doing it, so I hope I will get opportunity to do it again.

Are you still a music teacher at elementary school?
Yeah. 

So you are quite busy…
You don’t earn a lot of money as a musician, so you have to start a job as well.

Do you have something special for today’s show?
I have Hondo – it’s an old friend, so we will be seven members on the stage and I will try to speak Finnish as well.

Have you been to Finland before?
Yeah, I used to live here. Like 8 years ago I lived for half a year in Helsinki and after that I have been to Finland twice to play.

What were you doing when you were in Helsinki?
I was learning Finnish. But I think it needs more than half a year to learn Finnish, it’s a difficult language.

What else do you like to do apart from music? Do you follow the Olympic Games?
Yeah! I also like to follow football and I support a certain football team. I also like just hanging out with good friends, drinking and having fun.

Do you like to play football?
Yeah, we have a football team. We just never get a chance to practice, but we play like once a week. 

What should I do when I am in Reykjavik?
You should go swimming in a swimming pool. There are many swimming pools in the city. You should also go to support a football game.

No comments:

Post a Comment